Tuesday 10 February 2009

The Cool Mac Dashlets

I was really amazed by the first time I did the programming in Mac. Created a Widget for dashboard was just awesome.

The development environment that was so called SDK was indeed a big bunch of files. Yes, I mean BIG. Consuming some gigs of my hard drive. But tell you, they are worthwhile. I am not such a Mac Mania or something, but from my little experience with Mac. I know it is something great.

I used widgets. Both in Mac dashboard or Windows Vista sidebar. Vista's sidebar is good also, but I haven't got any that I could consider a significant plus. Somehow Mac is different. Mac pays respect for our space in desktop and booting time. I think Mac tries to get rid of unnecessary things from desktop, therefore Stack and Dashboard (as it is now) were created.  You'll be amazed of how fast a Mac machine boots up. That's a really big point.

Vista's sidebar occupies some significant space in desktop. The good thing about it is that it would be very beneficial if you use it as a dedicated dashboard for applications or services needed to be monitored all the time. Unfortunately, that kind of applications or services won't be too many. Until now I don't have any because all important things are already taken care of by the respective applications that deal with them. 

However, widgets may provide a better way of remote computation. It is like having widgets as application agents. To be extended to mobile computations, it will be even better. For me, they are all thin terminals and very potential ones.


No comments:

Followers